Wednesday, 20 May 2009

47 weeks to go

I think photography is going to be one of the big things I do in retirement. I did a shoot with a model Emma in Huddersfield last weekend. The beauty of photography is that there are so many different aspects to it: practise in operating the camera so that it becomes second nature, using apertures and shutter speed to get different results, learning about different lenses and when to use them (and saving up to buy a better one, as they are expensive but you need good glass at the front to get better images); there's the artistic side of composing the shot, balancing the picture, adjusting the image afterwards to produce a really good photograph - I love the balance of science and art in this activity. And then there's the people side; there's no way, when I retire, that I want to be in the youngest couple on a coachload of 85 year olds. At work, you meet people of all ages, which keeps you up with what;s going on, and - I'll miss the girls. You need youngerer girls in your life - well, I do. So, I've taken up hiring models, and I enjoy these sessions so much. They are very challenging, as I have to work the camera, manage the lights, meet a new person and work with them to get good shots; challenging, enjoyable, and just worth it. They add a lot to my life. I'll try and put up a shot or two from my recent shoot if I can.

No comments: